Monday, November 17, 2008

Excuse me, I want my 3/4% back

Dear City of Toledo,

I would like to request my 3/4% back please. When we this was on the ballot, you told us that without it, the city would essentially go broke. You said that the city could go into receivership and the state would take over running things (although, at this point, how much worse could they do?). You said that there would have to be reductions in Police and Fire services. You promised us that if we passed the 3/4% tax, you wouldn't have to reduce services, you wouldn't have to reduce police and fire.

So we passed it.

Now, on my way into work, I hear that the city is looking at laying off people, cutting back services and that they're not going to have a police or fire class in the upcoming year. For those of you keeping score, that means that by attrition (retirements, etc.) there will be reductions in the police and fire departments. I heard sound bites from councilmen saying that it will be harder to get things done in the city because there won't be as many people to do things.

I've only needed the police in my neighborhood a couple of times. Once when my garage got broken into -- they wouldn't come. Instead, they told me to stop by a station and make a report in the next few days. The second time was for a problem between a couple of my neighbors that was in danger of becoming a fight in the front yard-- it took four hours. As we lose officers to retirement, etc. in the coming year, with no police class, we'll have even less response.

Fortunately, I haven't needed the fire department.

So, being that the City of Toledo is unable to deliver on their end of the bargain, I would like to request my money back.

P.S.

The Toledo Police Patromen's Association has a suggestion for taxpayers that is posted on their website:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know a few others have talked about some type of action to do this formally, will anyone do it is of course another issue. It is frustrating to watch the never ending budget games when it's pretty clear that the City Administration knew things were going to be bad and could have done some things sooner to prevent the loss of the police and fire class.

As an off topic, welcome to the blogosphere!